1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years and I would like to spend those years with you. I don’t want to be disposed of because you are moving or I’m old.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Protect me from disease, cars, and predators. It is crucial to my well being.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. You are my family, my friend, and my entertainment.
5. Talk to me. Even though I don’t understand all your words, I do understand your voice when you are speaking kindly to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it, though I will usually forgive you.
7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but that I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food or I have been out in the sun to long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old.
10. I will always be happy to see you and I will be the friend and confidant that no human could ever be! Please take good care of me.